Manchester United moved a step closer to retaining the Premier League title with a comfortable 4-0 victory over Aston Villa on Sunday to move five points clear at the top. The three points did not arrive without controversy, however, as Ashley Young’s theatrical tumble in the penalty area under minimal contact allowed Wayne Rooney to settle the hosts’ nerves with a seventh-minute spot kick. Villa, who are still in danger of relegation, offered little and United stretched their lead just before halftime through Danny Welbeck’s close-range finish. Rooney scored again with a deflected effort after 73 minutes and Nani added the fourth in stoppage time. United moved to 82 points with four games left. Resurgent Manchester City, who thrashed Norwich City 6-1 away on Saturday, are on 77. The top two meet at The Etihad Stadium on April 30. After a shock midweek defeat at Wigan Athletic had offered hope to pursuing City, United manager Alex Ferguson had predicted a quick response from his players and he was not to be disappointed as they completely dominated. “It was a good result, we played some really good stuff although we were careless at stages but the third goal killed it,” Ferguson…
- Manchester United Look Destined to Win the Premier League
- Where Does Manchester United Go From Here?
- Manchester - The UK Capital of the North
- Can Aston Villa Break the Big Four?
- Who Are Manchester City Realistically Going to Sign?
- Stay at the Luxury Villas in Barbados and Have the Most Wonderful Holiday of Your Life
- Sicily Villa Rentals - The Inexpensive Way to Indulge in Luxury
- Minnesota United's biggest, brashest playoff obstacle is all about Zlatan
- Top Ten Tips to Rent Your Holiday Villa!
- Cyprus Villa Investments - Will the Euro Boost Prices?
Manchester United ease past Villa to go five clear at top have 286 words, post on at April 6, 2012. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.