The infamous Jean Doumanian-produced 1980-81 season of Saturday Night Live occupies a crucial place in the show's mythology as the worst of the worst, a 13-episode trainwreck that nearly destroyed a comic institution in its relative infancy. The season has such a dreadful reputation that even in a YouTube age where seemingly everything is available, I never expected to be able to watch the season legally. I imagined that NBC would hide its shame by burying the show so deep that not even the most dogged comedy geeks would be able to find it. So I was surprised and a little delighted to discover that while full-season DVD sets of Saturday Night Live conveniently end with the 1979-1980 fifth season, the notorious sixth season is available in strangely edited 40- to 45-minute versions on Netflix Instant and Hulu. These are not the full episodes—the musical performances are entirely absent, as are selected sketches and even some of the monologues—but they do provide a good sense of what the season was like. Advertisement I approached this fabled lost season with equal parts anticipation and trepidation. Could it possibly be as terrible as its reputation suggests? Could anything? In that respect, the… Read full this story
- Emmys 2018: Saturday Night Live wins sketch series award, 5 actors snubbed
- Saturday Night Live season 44: Ego Nwodim joins the cast
- Peyton Manning explains how his legendary 'Saturday Night Live' skit almost didn’t happen
- Trump expected to attend UFC fight Saturday night in New York
- Saturday Night Five: Cal rises, South clarity emerges, the Helton Watch, WSU turns up the heat (on the conference)
- Saturday Night Bikes
- Kroger Field should be rocking Saturday night, but will it be?
- Purdue gets to host ABC Saturday Night Football, and that’s awesome
- The Buzzer: Saturday night’s alright for shutouts
- Revolution have a huge game Saturday night
How Bad Can It Be? Case File #23: Saturday Night Live’s aborted 1980-81 season have 305 words, post on www.avclub.com at September 5, 2012. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.