Wayne Rooney overcame the indignity of being hauled off penalty-taking duties to keep Manchester United on course for their first FA Cup triumph since 2004. Rooney, who missed his 10th United spot-kick in the third-round replay against West Ham, was the subject of some withering remarks about it from manager Sir Alex Ferguson in his programme notes. Subs not used: Lindegaard, Ferdinand, Welbeck, Van Persie Goals: Giggs 3, Rooney 50, Hernandez 53, 66 Fulham: Schwarzer, Riise, Hangeland, Baird (Karagounis 46), Hughes, Riether, Sidwell, Duff (Rodallega 61), Kacaniklic, Berbatov, Ruiz (Dejagah 70) Subs not used: Etheridge, Senderos, Briggs, Petric Goal: Hughes 77 Referee: Mark Clattenburg Not surprisingly when United won a penalty after 70 seconds, the responsibility was handed to Ryan Giggs, who duly beat Mark Schwarzer low to his right. But Rooney shrugged off the slight to turn in a typically frenetic shift, eventually rewarded when he struck a superb second goal early in the second half. Javier Hernandez rounded off the win with two goals of his own as Fulham, featuring former United record signing Dimitar Berbatov, were beaten with embarrassing ease. Ferguson, whose squad went to Qatar for some warm-weather training ahead of the tie, said: ‘The FA…
- Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal legends fans want to see in Premier League Hall of Fame
- Manchester United decide Phil Jones’ role after sealing Raphael Varane transfer
- Inside story of Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham's 24-year feud at Man Utd, England and beyond
- Meet Michael Knighton: How £10m takeover of Man Utd crumbled after Old Trafford stunt
- Where are Man Utd's experimental XI that Ryan Giggs managed during caretaker spell now?
- Five best Premier League opening games including Liverpool thriller and Man Utd upset
- Wayne Rooney raves over Ravel Morrison as ex-Man Utd maverick nets incredible Derby goal
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s brutal reply to Wayne Rooney after Derby boss offered to play
- How the four Man Utd players handed debuts by David Moyes have fared since
- Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Solskjaer hints at MORE signings, Varane first Carrington training session, Haaland update
Man United 4 Fulham 1: Wayne puts on a show after Sir Alex hands penalty duties over to Giggs have 326 words, post on at January 27, 2013. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.