Next Author Alice Munroe won the Nobel Prize for Literature on Thursday. The 82-year-old became the first Canada-based writer to win the honour.Munroe will be presented with her award at a formal ceremony in Stockholm on December 10, which is the anniversary of prize founder Alfred Nobel’s death in 1896.She is also the 13th woman to receive the Literature Nobel and the 110th Nobel Laureate.Rediff.com takes a walk down the memory lane and showcases women who have won the coveted prize.Click NEXT to read further… Tags: Alice Munroe , Alfred Nobel , Literature Nobel , com , Stockholm Next Prev Next Selma Lagerlöf was born in Östra Emterwik, Värmland, Sweden in 1858.She had been writing poetry ever since she was a child, but she did not publish anything until 1890, when a Swedish weekly gave her the first prize in a literary competition and published excerpts from the book which was to be her first, best, and most popular work.Gösta Berlings Saga was published in 1891, but went unnoticed until its Danish translation received wide critical acclaim and paved the way for the book’s lasting success in Sweden and elsewhere.In 1895 financial support from the… Read full this story
- Chinese writer Mo Yan wins Nobel literature prize
- Crisis-ridden European Union wins Nobel Peace Prize
- International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons wins Nobel Peace Prize
- European Union receives Nobel Peace Prize for its work promoting human rights in Europe
- Malala Yousafzai, Kailash Satyarthi receive Nobel Peace Prizes in Oslo
- Wangari Maathai, first African woman recipient of Nobel Peace Prize dies from cancer at age 71
- ICAN just won the Nobel Peace Prize: What is ICAN?
- Nobel Peace Prize: Some of the previous winners
- Nobel Peace Prize awarded to Burmese enabler should be revoked | Malik
- Myanmar democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi accepts Nobel Peace Prize 21 years later
IN PHOTOS: Women who won the Nobel Literature Prize have 301 words, post on www.rediff.com at October 10, 2013. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.