Athletes from Indonesia march into the stadium during the opening ceremony for the 17th Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea,Friday, Sept. 19, 2014. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man) INCHEON, South Korea— Indonesia has been formally named the host country for the 2018 Asian Games after stepping in at the last minute when Vietnam relinquished its hosting rights over financial concerns. Indonesia's National Olympic Committee said Saturday that events would be held in the capital of Jakarta, along with the regions of South Sumatra and West Java. Committee Chairwoman Rita Subowo said the bid had strong support from the central and regional governments and that much of the infrastructure was already in place and Jakarta's new airport and mass transit system would be finished by the time the games are held. Vietnam initially was awarded the rights to stage the games in 2019, but backed out in April citing a lack of funds. Indonesia last hosted the games in 1962. RELATED STORY 17th Asian Games comes off wraps
- Cover-up: Jakarta hides foul river with giant net before Asian Games
- Sports shorts: Chennai Open, Asian Games tennis, ISL...
- Alex Trebek, host of beloved game show Jeopardy!, dies at age 80
- How to get a blank name in Among Us
- Take a Look, LeVar Burton Wants to Host
- Asian Champions Trophy: India vs Malaysia Preview: Where to watch, timing and live streaming
- Looking forward to competing in Asian Champions Trophy: Indian men's hockey midfielder Sumit
- Alex Trebek, long-running 'Jeopardy!' host, dead at 80
- George Stephanopoulos' 'reps are lobbying' for him to 'be the next host of Jeopardy!' in new report... after Alex Trebek died at age 80 from pancreatic cancer
- Best Xbox Game Pass (xCloud) for Android Games to Play 2020
Indonesia named host of 2018 Asian Games have 279 words, post on sports.inquirer.net at September 20, 2014. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.