Photo: Getty Images As we revealed on Monday, Jennifer Lawrence topped Vulture’s Most Valuable Stars List this year, and although we only started compiling these lists in 2012, the fact that a woman has topped it for the first time this year seems like cause for rejoicing. How often has an actress been perceived as the biggest star in Hollywood? Not that often. Look to a more established metric: The Quigley Publishing Co. has been publishing its Motion Picture Exhibitors’ Poll of the Top 10 Box-Office Draws since the early 1930s. Since 1967, a woman has topped it only three times — Lawrence in its most recent poll, Sandra Bullock in 2009, and Julia Roberts in 1999. That’s a lot of dudes. Of course, once upon a time, actresses were typically bigger ticket-sellers than men: In the 1930s, Shirley Temple regularly topped the Quigley poll, while Julie Andrews and Doris Day pretty much split the 1960s between themselves. But that was a different Hollywood, one driven for decades by female moviegoers. Today’s movie industry is slowly (sloowly) starting to rediscover the power of the female viewer, and several stars still in their prime could be positioned to take advantage of it, from… Read full this story
- Tom Sturridge collapsed on stage performing George Orwell's 1984 - the same production that made Jennifer Lawrence 'throw up'
- ‘Star Wars’, China Triple Play, ‘Peanuts’ Top Foreign Box Office – Monday Update
- 'I think you're so sexy... will you come to me?': Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt recreate THAT risqué topless scene from 1982 film Fast Times At Ridgemont High as they reunite on-screen during all-star table read
- EXCLUSIVE 'They're jealous, cold and make no effort': Made In Chelsea's Maeva D'Ascanio claims her female co-stars made her life a 'nightmare'
- Hollywood biggies open gates for actors of colour
- Oscar Snubs & Surprises: Jennifer Lopez, Robert De Niro, Awkwafina, Women Directors & Christian Bale Get The Cold Shoulder From Academy Voters
- Jennifer Aniston, Zendaya and Tracee Ellis Ross bring the glamour IN-PERSON while most of Hollywood suit up at home for first-ever virtual Primetime Emmy Awards
- Jennifer Lopez, Dua Lipa and Cara Delevingne bring the sparkle as they shimmer in revealing ensembles leading the glamour on the red carpet at the 2020 American Music Awards
- How Wonder Woman socked it to Hollywood's sexists: Cinemas are filled with girl-only audiences amid record takings despite chauvinist producers saying an all-female action movie couldn't work
- People's Choice Awards 2020: Jennifer Lopez to Justin Bieber, here's the complete winners list
Jennifer Lawrence and What It Means to Be Hollywood’s Top Female Star have 404 words, post on www.vulture.com at October 29, 2014. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.