Using 110 years of Billboard chart data, designers have created a stunning and mesmerising website that reveals how long it would take popular tracks to travel through the universe. Called Lightyear.fm, it is based on the premise that the radio waves travel at the speed of light, so if you were one light year away from Earth you’d only just be hearing songs released a year ago. The planets in our solar system are mere light-minutes from Earth – meaning many would be receiving broadcasts made this year from the likes of Taylor Swift and The Weeknd – but as Lightyear.fm journeys beyond our system and into the depths of the Milky Way classic tunes echo around. Click Play on the module below to take the musical tour through the Milky Way. It works best on the Chrome browser Lightyear.fm (above) is based on the premise that the radio waves travel at the speed of light, so if you were one light year away from Earth you’d only just be hearing songs released a year ago. The project -inspired by the opending credits of the 1997 film Contact -was created by New York-based computer designers Brian Moore and Chris Baker with… Read full this story
- The best DAB radios for all your easy-listening needs
- POLITICO London Playbook: Parliament taking control? — Sunday roasting — No collusion
- Madonna hints at being in love again at 60 as she finally unveils new single Medellin after four year wait
- Sam Smith sparks health fears after axing concerts due to vocal problems
- POLITICO London Playbook: How Britain lost the Brexit battle — Open up, begin again — DUP sh*t creek
- BIG INTERVIEW: Breaking the Mould.... The Jay Tabb story...
- Black hole seen for first time in image showing matter being sucked into timeless oblivion
- Waxing lyrical: Candles are ideal way to light up her life on Mother's Day
- ‘Brexit is aggressive and dangerously nostalgic. The UK is in for a brutal chastening’
- The 2019 Cool List: The 60 coolest people in Bristol right now
We've got Taylor Swift, but what is the rest of the UNIVERSE listening to? Map reveals how long it takes radio waves to travel through space - with distant stars only just tuning in to 40s jazz have 329 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at July 16, 2015. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.