MOSCOW: Luxury cars, apartments, even a racehorse — being an Olympic medalist in Russia can come with great material rewards but also controversy. Under President Vladimir Putin, it’s become a tradition for Russia’s Olympic heroes to be showered with large cash sums and sometimes unwanted gifts. On Friday, less than 24 hours after dozens of medalists were presented with BMW cars at the Kremlin by Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, an advertisement appeared online offering one of them for sale, with photographs showing the car still covered in stickers celebrating Russia’s medal haul in Rio. The advertisement offering the BMW X6 for 4.67 million rubles ($72,000) was anonymous and quickly withdrawn. It couldn’t be independently verified by The Associated Press, though Russian agency R-Sport claimed the seller was a Russian medalist who thought the car was too big and unwieldy. Figure skater Maxim Trankov, who received a Mercedes-Benz SUV for his gold medal in 2014, said few Olympians could afford to own such cars. “Has no one thought that these gift cars are not only liable for the tax on luxury items, but also aren’t cheap to run and earnings can’t cover it?” he wrote on Twitter. “I’d sell mine… Read full this story
- Brit Awards all-white winners list sparks controversy, as Adele, Justin Bieber and Coldplay lead stars
- Jessica Simpson admits she NEVER received a present from Nick and Vanessa Lachey: 'I didn't get a gift, I don't know where that came from'
- Jessica Simpson Says She 'Didn't Get a Gift' from Nick and Vanessa Lachey amid Gift-Gate Scandal
- Plane birth sparks controversy in Taiwan
- ‘The Hunt’ Gets A New Release Date After Elites Killing Deplorables Plot Sparked Controversy
- American Dirt is a blockbuster novel hailed by Oprah. Here's why it has sparked controversy
- Karnataka BJP’s tweet on NPR sparks controversy
- Those who manage to get into the Phantasy Star Online 2 beta can watch a Sonic movie trailer in the lobby
- Bigg Boss 13: Salman Khan gets grilled for trying to end Sidharth and Asim's love stories by the special guest, watch video
- Enforcement of Malaysia’s Smoking Ban Sparks Controversy
Russian Olympic medalist gets BMW as gift, tries to sell it online, sparks controversy have 345 words, post on news.abplive.com at August 27, 2016. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.