Deputy Minister Ho Thi Kim Thoa said the 4IR is forecast to change the entire system of production and administration around the globe. The 4IR is at the starting period, so it is necessary for Vietnam to promptly grab the opportunity to speed up industrialisation and modernisation towards the goal of becoming a modern industrialised country, she added.
However, the country will be under great pressure if it fails to define clear targets and suitable approach via economic reshuffle, education reform, and science-technology development, she noted.
Head of Vietnam Institute of Economics Tran Dinh Thien said the 4IR is creating challenges relevant to adjustment costs in the short and medium run due to its uneven impacts on separate sectors. The rapid growth of many businesses would generate new technologies but also eliminate those who cannot catch up with the trend, he added.
So far Vietnam has geo-economic advantages along with an abundant and young workforce, but the 4IR will eliminate those advantages, he said, noting that the country needs a different and feasible approach to optimise opportunities from the 4IR. Apart from improving education-training, human resources, and infrastructure, Vietnam should stimulate and promote innovation among businesses, he recommended.
Country Director of the UN Development Programme (UNDP) in Vietnam Louise Chamberlain said the 4IR is one of the most useful and quickest ways to help Vietnamese enterprises increase productivity and competitiveness. The UN in Vietnam is willing to cooperate with the country to seize opportunities from the 4IR.
- Companies from Hanoi and Poland seek cooperation
- Vietnam strives to build more cohesive, responsive ASEAN
- South Korea, a strategic partner for Vietnam's fintech development
- Vietnam makes important contributions to ASEAN economic co-operation: minister
- Vietnam’s five priorities during ASEAN Chairmanship Year 2020
- Hanoi Run for Children 2019 to kick off in December
- Imported pork dirt cheap, domestic livestock industry in danger
- Vietnam among top in footwear production
- Theme and priorities of Vietnam’s 2020 ASEAN Chairmanship unveiled
- Dialogue talks Vietnam – Iran business opportunities