Nicola Sturgeon has committed the Scottish Government to the introduction of a deposit return scheme for drinks bottles.The initiative, which aims to cut single-use plastic waste, is partly prompted by Sky’s Ocean Rescue campaign.It will apply to plastic and glass bottles, as well as aluminium cans.Unveiling her legislative programme for the coming year to the Scottish Parliament on Tuesday, the First Minister told MSPs that her ministers will “do more to support the circular economy and reduce waste”.”I can confirm today that we will design and introduce a deposit return scheme for drinks containers, as an important part of our determination to tackle litter and clean up our streets,” she said. Advertisement The Scottish Government had already commissioned a detailed study into a deposit return scheme (DRS).And Sky News understands its ministers have been following Sky’s campaign closely, with concerns raised in its coverage fed into their decision-making. More from Politics Boris Johnson calls for ‘end to hostilities’ in call with Iranian leader Why Big Ben may not bong on Brexit day Tour to promote government’s Towns Fund launched in a city Brexit: EU’s Ursula von der Leyen warns Boris Johnson full trade deal not possible before deadline Labour leadership:… Read full this story
- Dog food vending machine that keeps plastic use in check to be launched
- In the spirit of recycling: how Johnnie Walker and Sepoy & Co turn bottles to glass installations and sand
- How to get £10 worth of free chocolate for Valentine’s Day from Hotel Chocolat using cashback
- Smart cling-film will stop shoppers getting lost in the supermarket
- Self-declared 'eco-warrior' on Grand Designs leaves viewers baffled after using concrete, plastic lining and polystyrene insulation to build his 'environmentally friendly' self-heating home
- China Focus: Reality check after China upgrades plastic ban
- Stainless steel tumbler for kids: Making transition of kids from feeding bottles to cup easy
- Beer, boy! Clever dog obediently opens the fridge and brings his owner a chilled can on demand
- Simple daily change, green actions help environmental protection
- A Daesh of justice?
Plan to give shoppers cashback for their plastic bottles have 337 words, post on news.sky.com at September 5, 2017. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.