SOAKING up sun on a palm tree-lined beach, sipping on a good rum and listening to reggae — from this deckchair Jamaica ticks all the ‘dream holiday’ boxes.This Caribbean island, hopping with music and amazing food, has been top of my travel hit list ever since I came across Bob Marley as a teenager.For a place the size of Ireland, it has made a global impact just as big as ours, and with strong links going back hundreds of years the two nations have a lot more in common than you’d think.Driving around, we passed through and stayed in places like Irish Town, Sligoville, Connemara and Westport while constantly meeting people with names like Murphy and O’Shea, who are only too proud of their Irish roots.Today, it’s a proud, independent nation full of different exotic influences and history, but the Irish have been a regular fixture here since the 1700s, when they started showing up to work in or oversee the huge sugar cane fields that dominated the economy at the time.In No Woman No Cry, Marley famously sang about growing up “in a government yard, in Trenchtown”. This land — once owned by a Galway man, William Power Trench,… Read full this story
- Is now a good time to try out "Flaviar," the whiskey delivery service?
- Sainsbury’s August Bank Holiday Monday opening hours: what time are stores open today?
- Gennady Golovkin shows boxing is in good hands after Floyd Mayweather
- Ewan McGregor on ‘Long Way Up’: ‘Just two guys on our bikes having a good time’
- Let the good times flow
- Let the Good Times Go
- Good Samaritans Who Rescued 90-Year-Old Man From Flooding Honored By Pittsburgh Police
- Home Bargains August Bank Holiday Monday opening hours: what time are stores open today?
- 'Bat tick' found in New Jersey for first time, researchers say
- The RTX 3080, Radeon Big Navi and AMD Zen 3 mark the most exciting time for computers in years
Jamaica ticks all the dream holiday boxes – the island is hopping with good times music, amazing food and year-round sunshine have 323 words, post on www.thesun.ie at November 11, 2017. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.