Many moons ago, when I was a student at Fairfax High School in Los Angeles, the Black Student Union organized a protest and sit-in in the principal’s office because they weren’t going to allow us to put on a talent show for the whole school, and they took away a black-history class that was taught by one of our favorite black teachers on campus, Mrs. Head. Times have definitely changed, and what was once considered an elective course could become a high school graduation requirement if one California assemblyman has his way. Time magazine reports that Democrat Jose Medina has introduced A.B. 2772, which would make it mandatory for all high school students to complete an ethnic-studies course in order to graduate. If passed, the rule would begin during the 2023-2024 school year. “Without knowledge of other cultural experiences and the history of those ethnic and cultural groups,” Medina told Time, “I don’t think you can call yourself an educated person.” Medina said that he would have introduced his bill no matter who was in the White House, but Donald Trump as president “adds to the impetus” to do it now. As it stands, the history that is taught in… Read full this story
- Treasure Island high school to add dorm for students ‘no one else can reach’
- S.F. is embracing a totally new elementary school assignment process. Will it create more diverse classrooms?
- California considers requiring police recruits to finish college or setting minimum age of 25
- Now schools set their OWN exams: Head teachers prepare to hold mock tests so pupils can have robust grades while some students could still sit international GCSEs - as 92% of teachers say Gavin Williamson should resign
- 'I'm 75, I Graduated College at the Same Time As My Granddaughter'
- Whitty and Vallance 'MUST show us the evidence for shutting schools': Top Tory demands answers on mutant strain's risk to children as Hancock and Gove push for delay return of classes while parents beg for clarity
- Covid class war: Now Boris Johnson hints secondary pupils won't return until FEBRUARY as unions unite to keep schools SHUT after hundreds of primary heads defied PM by cancelling first day of new term
- How two professors behind Oxford's Covid vaccine stand to make MILLIONS with the jab - after its troubled path to approval
- California Covid-19 Update: Friday Is By Far The Deadliest Day Of Pandemic In State
- Democrat Wins in Georgia Runoffs Would Allow Joe Biden Billions More for Government Schools
California May Make Ethnic-Studies Course a High School Graduation Requirement have 411 words, post on www.theroot.com at February 24, 2018. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.