Trump signals support for raising from 18 to 21 federal minimum age for purchasing powerful weapons 0SHARES Share Tweet Email PHOTO: REUTERS WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump stood accused on Monday of caving in to the US gun lobby one month after the Florida school shooting, as the White House pushed ahead with plans to arm teachers but backpedaled on curbing access to assault rifles. Under pressure to act after a teenager killed 17 people with a semi-automatic rifle in Parkland, Trump had signalled support for raising from 18 to 21 the federal minimum age for purchasing the powerful weapons. But measures unveiled by his administration Sunday made no mention of any such action — nor of enforcing the vetting of buyers for firearm sales that take place online and at gun shows, another idea floated by the White House. Why Trump’s strategy on Pakistan may not work Instead Education Secretary Betsy DeVos put the focus squarely on Trump’s highly-controversial push to arm teachers and administrators, saying it was “committed to working quickly” on the move opposed by educator groups but backed by the powerful National Rifle Association. On the issue of vetting gun buyers, the White House has endorsed minor legislation… Read full this story
- Trump Suggests That Gun Control Measures Would Have Left 'Hundreds More Dead' in Sutherland Springs
- Trump Goes (Temporarily?) Rogue, Appears to Back Gun Control Measures
- Trump Now Asking His Billionaire Mar-a-Lago Buddies If He Should Do Something About Gun Control
- Donald Trump Calls Florida Shooter 'Mentally Disturbed,' Says Nothing About Gun Control
- Kristen Stewart Says the New Film She's Directing About Gun Control 'Is Going to Kick Ass'
- House Democrats Staging Sit-In to Force Gun Control Vote; Republicans Switch Off C-Span Cameras
- Senate Democrats Are Filibustering for a Gun Control Amendment
- Sarah Huckabee Sanders Says It's Not the Time to Talk About Gun Control, Suggests We 'Look to Chicago'
- Donald Trump's Spokesperson Rules at Twitter
- US Government Has Stifled Gun Violence Research for Over 2 Decades
Trump accused of backpedaling on gun control have 326 words, post on tribune.com.pk at March 13, 2018. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.