Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) and family in The Walking Dead TV series. Courtesy AMC Martin Shuster is director of Judaic Studies and assistant professor at the Center for Geographies of Justice at Goucher College in Baltimore. His latest book is New Television: The Aesthetics and Politics of a Genre (2017). 1,300 words Edited by Sam Haselby Republish Our present, many have noted, is a new golden age of television, defined by the rise of a range of sophisticated, creative and powerful serial shows. We know that, time and again in history, forms of art arise to meet the demands of even the most profound and unsettling changes in the world. Several centuries ago, it was the novel and its alleged ability to engage with what the Hungarian philosopher György Lukács in 1914 termed our ‘transcendental homelessness’. After that came film, and – as thinkers from Walter Benjamin to Robert Warshow noted – its ability to give some order, at least for a couple of hours, to our otherwise discordant experience. ‘All care about movies, await them, respond to them, remember them, talk about them, hate some of them, are grateful for some of them,’ is how the philosopher Stanley Cavell… Read full this story
- Scarred by defeat, they gave birth to a golden age of Danish art
- Ancient road and Bronze Age homes unearthed under new Devon town by archaeologists
- A family-owned drive-in theater struggles to survive in Hockley, TX
- When are the Grammy Awards 2023? What TV channel is it on in the US? Who are this year's nominees and favorites to win BIG!
- Melissa Gorga rocks a plunging black and beige lace midi dress at season 13 premiere of RHONJ with her husband Joe in New Jersey
- ‘Outlander’ EP Ronald D. Moore On Tonight’s Finale, Season 4, Golden Globes & Tobias Menzies Return
- 'I'm kinda doing alright': Hairy Biker Dave Myers says he's 'learning to live with cancer' as he gives health update amid treatment
- JAN MOIR: Sgt Catherine's the patron saint of middle-aged women ignored by the world. She deserves a Happy Valley happy ending!
- Corrie Sue Cleaver's weight loss journey – health battle, food overhaul and new look
- Harrison Ford age: How old 1923's Jacob Dutton star?
Our golden age of TV: amid collapse, a new family emerges have 358 words, post on aeon.co at May 16, 2018. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.