Eden Hazard does not believe he’s done enough this year to win the Ballon d’Or.
The Belgian captained his country to the World Cup semi-finals in the summer and has made a stunning start to the season at Chelsea, scoring eight goals and bagging four assists.
The ever-modest 27-year-old was shortlisted for the Ballon d’Or for the third time last month, but he insists there are two players more deserving of winning the award in Paris on 3rd December.
“Even though I had a very good year, I have to keep my feet on the ground,” Hazard told RTFB.
“I do not deserve the Ballon d’Or. I think there are players who have been better than me. Winning the Ballon d’Or is not a goal for me. If I win it one day, great. If I do not, it won’t be a problem.”
“I would have said Luka Modric but he has played a little less well since August and September.
“So, if we take into account the beginning of the season, I would say Kylian Mbappe.”
Italian publication Tuttosport have claimed the Ballon d’Or top three has already been decided, with Modric and Mbappe joined by World Cup-winning France defender Raphael Varane in the running.
The award looks set for new hands this year after Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi’s decade-long grip on the prize, with the pair both tipped to miss out on a place on the podium.
Modric was the hot favourite after captaining Croatia to the World Cup final, but Real Madrid’s poor start to the season and Mbappe’s stunning form have blown the race for the award wide open.
Mirror Football’s Top Stories
- Henry's Monaco turmoil a warning for big-name players heading to dugout
- Nani doesn't think Modric deserved the Ballon d'Or
- Solari: The players deserve this, while we must thank Zidane too
- The John Roper column: Players deserve great credit for fightback against the odds
- Colin McMenamin: Players deserved Aberdeen draw
- Hull FC star Danny Houghton says RL players deserve more respect
- Tuchel delighted as PSG bounce back with ‘deserved’ win over Amiens
- HQ Trivia doesn't always pay players their winnings, investigation reveals
- Eden Hazard brace gives Chelsea win over Watford
- Bayern Munich chief names player who can stop Mo Salah