BEIJING (AP) — Attempts to block Beijing’s goal of bringing Taiwan under its control are like “stretching out an arm to block a car,” China said in its latest rhetorical broadside against the self-governing island republic’s independence-minded president. The statement issued late Tuesday takes aim at Tsai Ing-wen’s recent announcement of measures to counter China’s “one country, two systems” framework for political unification with the island. Spokesman for the Chinese Cabinet’s Taiwan Affairs Office An Fengshan accused Tsai of harming relations between the sides and using the welfare of the Taiwanese people as a “poker chip” for the sake of electoral gains. Such actions “stand in opposition to the interests and welfare of our Taiwan compatriots, and endeavor to block progress by compatriots on both sides to progress,” An said. “All it is, is stretching out an arm to block a car,” he said, using a common Chinese expression to describe a futile action. China says Taiwan is a part of its territory that must be brought under its control by force if necessary, despite the social, political and economic differences developed between them since they separated amid civil war 70 years ago. Tsai of the pro-independence Democratic Progressive Party… Read full this story
- Biden administration proposes $750 million arms sale to Taiwan in a move likely to anger Beijing
- Lloyd Austin won't discuss "hypothetical" where China attacks Taiwan after Biden comments
- China Hounds Taiwan with 'Greyzone' Fighter Jet Incursions, Sparks Fears of 'All-out War'
- 'Stop working with Biden!' China furious as EU provokes Beijing with Taiwan move
- China says 'no room' to compromise on Taiwan after Biden comments
- China hounds Taiwan with 'greyzone' war plane incursions
- China says U.S., North Korea hold "primary responsibility" for de-escalating tensions
- What to know about the escalating tensions between China and Taiwan
- US stands in 'unshakeable alliance' with Australia - as China says AUKUS deal 'intensifies arms race'
- How War With China Begins
China says Taiwan moves like 'stretching arm to block a car' have 315 words, post on apnews.com at March 12, 2019. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.