On Tuesday, U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris unveiled her intention to deliver the largest federal investment in teacher pay in the history of the United States. In declaring a crisis in teacher pay in America, Harris noted that public school teachers are paid 11 percent less than similar professionals with college degrees, and expressed her commitment to closing the pay gap entirely within her first term. Advertisement Teachers are underpaid in general, but for black teachers and students, the prognosis is even grimmer. Outside of black teachers earning an average of $2,700 less per year than their white counterparts, turnover for teachers who serve schools with a high concentration of students of color is an astonishing 70 percent higher. Additionally, despite the fact that black teachers boost reading and math achievement, as well as graduation rates while inspiring students of color to pursue college, their meager wages directly influence their diminished presence in schools. And we won’t even get started on the racial inequities regarding student loans or school funding. It’s a damn mess, but a mess that Harris appears ready and willing to confront at any cost. As evidenced by her proposal on Tuesday to spend a jaw-dropping $315 billion… Read full this story
- What is Busing? Joe Biden Forced to Defend Record on Segregation In Face of Kamala Harris Attacks
- Kamala Harris Is Surging and Birtherism Is Back
- Kamala Harris supports decriminalizing sex work
- Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren Lead an Incredible Field of 2020 Women. How Are They Trailing Pete Buttigieg?
- US: Indian-origin Senator Kamala Harris racially targeted online
- Kamala Harris, Gavin Newsom among politicians and celebs at 2019 SF Pride Parade
- Pete Buttigieg Led Showbiz Fundraising In Latest Quarter; Kamala Harris Still Tops Money Race To Date
- Steely-eyed Queen is seen for first time since Prince Harry announced he and Meghan Markle will quit the Royal Family as crisis talks with Prince Charles and Prince William continue
- Huge clue that we all missed about Prince Harry and Meghan’s plan to quit the royal family
- Meghan Markle returns to Canada to be with son Archie after she and Prince Harry announce Royal separation
Cut the Check: Kamala Harris Announces $315 Billion Plan to Address Educational Inequality in Black and Brown Communities, Jump-start HBCUs have 345 words, post on www.theroot.com at March 26, 2019. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.