(CNN) The House passed legislation Friday that would protect those living in states where it’s legal to discriminate based on sexual orientation and gender identity in employment, housing and other services as well as access to public accommodations such as restaurants. The bill, known as the “Equality Act,” would amend the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other civil rights laws to include sexual orientation and gender identity as protected characteristics. But critics argue it raises serious concerns for religious communities as well as women’s sports. Transgender teens in schools with bathroom restrictions are at higher risk of sexual assault, study says It passed largely along party lines in the Democratic-controlled House, 236-173, but it’s not expected to be taken up in the GOP-led Senate. Eight Republicans supported the bill. Conservatives argue the bill threatens freedom of speech, religion and women’s rights. In a heated floor debate before the vote, Republicans pointed to a provision in the bill that says an individual could not be denied access to a restroom, locker room or dressing room based on their gender identity. Opponents say that would force women and girls to share private spaces with men. Critics also say the bill could… Read full this story
- Petition Urges CA Gov. Newsom to Protect Women, Veto Gender Identity Incarceration
- Democrat Wins in Georgia Would Allow Biden to Fulfill Vow to Sign LGBT Equality Act
- California Gov. Newsom signs law requiring transgender prison inmates to be housed based on gender identity
- House PASSES $2,000 stimulus checks bill siding with Trump’s demand for bigger payments and setting up Senate showdown
- Blow for Donald Trump: US House passes defence bill to set up veto override
- Democrats Impose Transgender Language in the House
- California Official: Insurance Must Cover Double Mastectomies for Young Girls with Gender Dysphoria
- 'Height of Hypocrisy': Gabbard Rebukes Congress' Decision to Ban Use of Gendered Words Like 'Mother'
- Tulsi Gabbard blasts new House rules on gender neutral language as 'height of hypocrisy'
- Fashion designer Alexander Wang slams allegations he drugged and sexually assaulted male models as 'grotesquely false' and denies ever engaging in the atrocious behavior described'
Houses passes Equality Act to increase protections for sexual orientation and gender identity have 347 words, post on edition.cnn.com at May 17, 2019. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.