Traditional artist Mai Tuyết Hoa and her troupe Xẩm Hà Thành have released their first album of xẩm (blind busker’s singing). She has spent more than 20 years performing and studying xẩm singing. Hoa is seen as one of successors of the late master singer Hà Thị Cầu. Nguyễn Mạnh Hà interviews Hoa about preserving and developing xẩm singing Could you tell how the album was made? At first, we spent our money to make the album. We have a weekly performance at King Lê Temple on Lê Thái Tổ Street. Hoàn Kiếm District provides us with a small amount of money. Plus, we earn from VNĐ200,000 to 900,000 (US$9 to 40) for each performance. We intended to use this income to make the album but it was not enough. So we contributed our own money. When we finished the album we received financial support from Thiện Tâm Fund. We will co-operate with this fund and the Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism of Ninh Bình Province to organise a national xẩm singing festival and hold xẩm singing classes in the province. You have foreign students who are learning xẩm. What can you tell us about these students? When foreigners come to Việt Nam to learn xẩm singing they study hard. Folk music… Read full this story
- China to hold folk song festival in Yunnan
- Leading artists call on National Portrait Gallery to cut ties to BP
- Broadside 2019: how a feminist festival took on feminism – and forced us to think harder
- Musicians become wandering minstrels to revive age-old tradition of xam music
- Cannes in crisis: has the festival learned the lessons of Weinstein?
- Sausalito Art Festival put on hold after 67 years
- It Breaks My Heart to See a Country Declaring War on Culture And Artistes, Says Wagner Moura
- Artist, 26, who sparked the 'glitter boob' trend says her sales surge by 20% every festival season - and claims she can make up to $180,000 a week
- Kendrick Lamar, Rihanna, Metallica Headline 2016 Global Citizen Festival
- HCM City International Music Festival opens
Artist plans to hold national xẩm festival have 347 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at July 10, 2019. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.