Normal text size Larger text size Very large text size Peter V’landys has a story about the time he went to Royal Ascot, the thoroughbred horse-racing carnival regarded as one of the smartest events on England’s sporting and social calendar. The Australian racing supremo wore a borrowed top hat, which unfortunately was too big. “When I stuck it on my head, it kept going down past my ears,” he says. “Gai Waterhouse, one of our champion trainers, saw me having trouble with the hat. So she came over.” According to V’landys, Waterhouse deftly folded a newspaper page into a strip and used it to pad the inside circumference. This worked a treat. “The hat fitted beautifully. Only problem, when I took it off, I had the word CRISIS on my forehead.” He laughs. “No, I’m kidding about that.” V’landys, 59, is a man of sturdy build and modest height, with receding dark hair he wears slicked straight back like a character from one of the Godfather movies. Today he will be at Royal Randwick in Sydney for the running of the richest turf race in the world, the $14 million Everest. His presence will also be felt in Melbourne, where… Read full this story
- Melbourne Cup 2021: Field, horses, form guide and finishing order
- The field for the Melbourne Cup is out. Can they beat racing's rising star?
- Race day 'breaks hibernation' as NSW hosts first big event out of lockdown
- Melbourne Cup runner-up Incentivise cleared of serious injury
- Verry Elleegant secures the biggest win of her career, winning the Melbourne Cup
- Melbourne Cup 2021: All you need to know about the race that stops two nations
- Nature Strip wins world's richest turf race
- Trying to find the Melbourne Cup winner? This is the formula you need
- 'We' should act, Bruce McAvaney says, but why haven't 'we' acted already?
- Seat-by-seat: See how the Coalition defied the polls to retain power
Sydney powerbroker Peter V’landys has Melbourne's spring racing crown in his sights have 314 words, post on www.smh.com.au at October 19, 2019. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.