Turkey has dismissed a report in a German newspaper that claimed Turkish officials had canceled a deal to acquire a Russian anti-aircraft missile system due to US pressure. “The S-400 delivery is a done deal,” Fahrettin Altun, a spokesman for Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, wrote on Twitter. Read more: Turkish-Russian missile deal puts NATO on edge In its Saturday edition, the German Bild newspaper quoted a high-ranking Turkish diplomat as saying: “There will be no delivery of the S-400 in July, as the Turkish president had [earlier] announced.” The diplomat reportedly said his government feared that the US could respond with sanctions if the country bought the system, which would be the “economic downfall” of Turkey. The Russian government also denied the report, with the Russian Interfax news agency quoting an unnamed military source that the deal with Turkey had not been scrapped. US pressure Turkey’s plan to buy the air defense system has been a cause of tension within the NATO military alliance, which both the United States and Turkey belong to. The US and other member states fear that Russia could spy on NATO aircraft through the S-400 system. To discourage Ankara from entering the deal, Washington suspended a joint F-35 fighter… Read full this story
- Turkey Won't Bow to US Pressure and Will Buy Second Regiment of S-400s, Russian Official Says
- US Sanctions Turkey for 'Significant' Transaction With Russia, State Department Says
- US Will 'Expel' India From Quad if Delhi Buys S-400 Missile Systems From Russia, Warns BJP Lawmaker
- The Iran Deal Was a Bad Deal in 2015. It's an Even Worse One Now | Opinion
- Turkey's Erdogan voices support for Ukraine amid crisis
- Dealing with North Korea: What are the world's options?
- Want To Contain Iran and Russia? Engage, Don't Repudiate, Turkey | Opinion
- The window of opportunity is closing fast on an Iran nuclear deal
- Israel needs Russia, but it is not a marriage made in heaven
- China and Russia will keep Iran from building a bomb
Turkey denies scrapping Russia missile deal after US pressure have 324 words, post on www.dw.com at November 5, 2019. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.