(CNN)Venice’s misfortunes never seem to stop. The popular tourist destination has been hit by the worst flooding in 50 years this week, resulting in damage worth hundreds of millions of euros. Italy’s Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said a state of emergency would be declared on Thursday because of the disaster. The flooding came at the worst possible time for Venice. The city is struggling with unsustainable overtourism, its historical buildings are sinking at an alarming rate and the population is dwindling. Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte on a boat as he visits the flood-affected city of Venice on November 14, 2019. Flooding The lagoon city was struck by an exceptionally high tide on Tuesday night, causing the worst flooding since 1966. Many of its most precious sites have been damaged. Read More The Patriarch of St Mark’s Basilica Monsignor Francesco Moraglia said he had never seen flooding like this at St. Mark’s Square. “There were waves as if we were at the beach,” he said. Venice Mayor Luigi Brugnaro said the damages were “enormous, hundreds of millions of euros.” The Italian government is building a complex flood defense system to protect Venice from flooding. But the multi-billion project has been… Read full this story
- ‘A State of Emergency’: Native Americans Stranded for Days by Flooding
- Children of the opioid epidemic are flooding foster homes. America is turning a blind eye.
- The world’s greatest city, according to 4 urban planners
- A Group Portrait of New York’s ‘Oldest Old’
- The 52 Places Traveler: In Montgomery, a City Embedded With Pain, Finding Progress
- At Year’s End, Catching Up With New York’s ‘Oldest Old’
- The Rise and Fall of the New York Wheel
- Bloomberg Op-Ed: Immigrant Soldiers, Workers Needed for Geopolitical Power
- Des Moines hospitals counter critical psychiatrist shortage by training their own
- Bill Gross: AOC's Wealth Tax a 'Necessary Evil'
Venice was suffering over-tourism, an aging population and sinking foundations. Then the floods came have 304 words, post on edition.cnn.com at November 14, 2019. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.