(Reuters Health) – Asthma attacks during pregnancy are associated with an increased risk of complications for mothers and their babies, a Canadian study suggests. FILE PHOTO: A pregnant woman, in the last trimester of her pregnancy, poses in this illustration photo in Sete, South France, March 26, 2016. REUTERS/Regis Duvignau Researchers examined data on more than 103,000 pregnancies among more than 58,000 women with asthma who had babies in Ontario, Canada, from 2003 to 2012. Compared to women who didn’t have asthma attacks during pregnancy, those who did were 17% more likely to have pregnancy-induced hypertension and 30% more likely to have dangerously high blood pressure known as preeclampsia, the study found. Women who had asthma attacks were also 14% more likely to have low-birthweight or preterm babies and 21% more likely to have infants with birth defects. “Nearly 40% of pregnant women decrease or stop taking asthma medication because they are worried that it could be harmful to their unborn babies,” senior study author Teresa To of the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto and the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute in Ottawa said in a statement. “However, our study indicates that severe asthma symptoms present the… Read full this story
- Nicki Minaj announces pregnancy, shares pictures flaunting baby bump
- A Different, More Severe Form of Asthma. GSK’s Doctor Nestor A. Molfino, Shares Signs You May Be Living With Severe Asthma and an Option to Manage the Condition
- What does the future hold for babies with microcephaly?
- Vogue Williams gives BIRTH: Star welcomes a 'beautiful' baby daughter with husband Spencer Matthews
- Mum who suffered 12 miscarriages in 11 years finally celebrates 'miracle' baby
- Gang-rape victim, 17, and her mother are mown down and crushed to death by a tractor driven by one of her attackers in India
- Mum who gave birth with coronavirus dies on ventilator after never meeting newborn baby
- Amanda Bynes Expecting a Baby With Ex-Fiancé
- Second man is charged after shocking flying kick attack which almost sent woman police officer under a moving bus
- Attack of the Terror Babies! First They Come for Your Citizenship
Asthma attacks in pregnancy tied to complications for mothers, babies have 333 words, post on www.reuters.com at December 3, 2019. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.