As a civil rights activist at 25, John Lewis was beaten so badly his skull was fractured and the TV images from an Alabama bridge in the 1960s forced a nation’s awakening to racial discrimination. As a congressman today at 79, Lewis is facing a foe like none before- advanced pancreatic cancer. The veteran Democrat congressman from Georgia has fought many struggles in his lifetime. Yet, he said, “I have never faced a fight quite like the one I have now,” announcing Sunday in Washington that the cancer was detected earlier this month and confirmed in a diagnosis. Mr. Lewis has had many battles, and this he views as one more dawning. He was arrested at least 40 times in the civil rights era, several more times as a congressman since being elected in 1986 and only recently he has been rallying to help reunite immigrant families separated by the Trump administration. The youngest and last survivor of the Big Six civil rights activists, a group once led by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., Lewis made clear that he has no plans to step aside from power while he undergoes treatment. “I have been in some kind of fight… Read full this story
- Civilization Revolution 2 Coming to iOS and Android
- Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War Q&A - Introduction
- What a proper Marvel battle royale game might look like
- On the Quirks of Civil War Generals and Civilization's Scenario Design
- Battlefield 1 scrapped female soldiers because boys don’t believe in them, says ex-DICE coder
- Why is Fortnite Battle Royale so wildly popular?
- The Flare Path: John Tiller, Boredom Killer
- John McCain reportedly requested Obama, George W. Bush give eulogies at his funeral
- Galactic Civilizations III Early Access Review
- Wot I Think: Civilization V
U.S. civil rights icon John Lewis says cancer is his latest battle have 285 words, post on www.thehindu.com at December 30, 2019. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.