The coronavirus outbreak has exposed the United States' dangerous dependence on China for pharmaceutical and medical supplies, including an estimated 97 percent of all antibiotics and 80 percent of the active pharmaceutical ingredients needed to produce drugs in the United States. The economic repercussions of the coronavirus reveal the dangers of allowing one country to have a near monopoly on global manufacturing, David Dayen explains in an article at the American Prospect: China is a source of not only finished goods, but also of input parts and raw materials. A substantial number of the materials needed for defense and electronic systems come from China, and that nation is "the single or sole supplier for a number of specialty chemicals," according to a recent Defense Department report. Rare earth minerals, which are critical to electronics, are largely mined in China. As a result, Chinese disruptions don't just hit Chinese manufacturing, they hit everyone's. Automakers have already had to slow or shut down factories globally due to supply shortages. Perhaps the biggest concern is over medical supplies. China produces and exports a large amount of pharmaceuticals to the U.S., including 97 percent of all antibiotics and 80 percent of the active ingredients… Read full this story
- ‘Coronavirus came from China, US is not going to take it lightly’: Trump
- Coronavirus came from China, US is not going to take it lightly, warns Donald Trump
- Exclusive: US has three months to rebuild medical supplies stockpile, Obama administration scientists warn
- Four in 10 care homes in England have suffered suspected or confirmed coronavirus outbreaks, Number 10 confirms
- Pandemic Exposes Perils of Global Reliance on China for Drug Supplies
- China's top medical adviser tells its people to wear face masks 'for at least another year' to stop the spread of coronavirus
- Coronavirus outbreak boosts pressure on Ecuador to default on foreign debt
- Coronavirus | Xi defends China’s ‘open’ virus response
- 74 Percent of Britons Think China Covered up Initial Coronavirus Outbreak, Poll Shows
- Inmates sue for being left four to a cell with shared sinks and toilets as coronavirus outbreak tore through Colorado jail where one man who later died was a 'superspreader'
Coronavirus Outbreak Exposes China’s Monopoly on U.S. Drug, Medical Supplies have 351 words, post on www.breitbart.com at February 14, 2020. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.