By Leo Kelion Published 26 May 2020 comments Comments Share close Share page Copy link About sharing Huawei’s future in the UK is in doubt – again. The consequences could affect how quickly improved internet access is rolled out and how much it will cost. This a time when the country’s economy is already in a precarious state because of the coronavirus pandemic. The catalyst for a potential rethink is the US’s move to restrict the firm’s ability to buy chips, which was justified on “national security grounds”. On Sunday, the UK’s National Security Centre (NCSC) confirmed it was examining what impact this would have on the UK networks that use Huawei’s tech. That sounds quite vague. But it potentially paves the way for a government U-turn. In January, the prime minister gave the green light to continued use of the firm’s tech in mobile and broadband networks, but said its its market share must be reduced . Now he might appreciate the chance for change of mind. It would help Boris Johnson prevent backbenchers who favour a ban from derailing his forthcoming Telecoms Infrastructure Bill . Moreover, it offers him a way to defuse tensions with the White House,… Read full this story
- Theresa May hands Chinese firm Huawei 5G contract green light despite security fears
- Huawei P10 Release Date, Specs & Update: New Flagship Phone Out In April 2017? Details & Hottest Leaks Here!
- Huawei Honor View20 and Samsung A8 have HOLE-PUNCH cameras (but both stake a claim as the world’s first)
- New Huawei P Smart budget smartphone comes with an AI camera and ‘water drop’ notch
- Products from Chinese electronics manufacturer Huawei may be security threat, says a Government report
- Best Huawei P30 deals – cheapest contracts from £23 a month with FREE Sonos speaker worth £170
- US warns of threat from Chinese drone companies
- Huawei Mate 9 Release Date, News & Update: Dual Cameras, Display Screen To Rival iPhone, Samsung Galaxy Note; Price Revealed
- Huawei P30 phone branded ‘queen of photography’ with 50x zoom and night vision
- Huawei P20 Lite DEAL – this iPhone lookalike costs just £219 in John Lewis deal
Huawei: What would happen if the UK ditched the Chinese firm? have 346 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at May 25, 2020. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.