Thousands of New Yorkers flocked to city parks this weekend as warmer weather tempted them out of quarantine and forced the city to dispatch 1,000 officers to streets to enforce social distancing guidelines and a ban on large public congregations. Under the instructions of Mayor Bill de Blasio, NYPD officers set out on foot, bicycles and in cars to break up crowds and remind those enjoying the weather of public health restrictions requiring they keep 6 feet away from others. Two of the city’s largest public gardens, Central Park and Prospect Park, were filled with sunbathers basking in the 70 degree sunshine across the weekend, many of them in groups. Mayor de Blasio said in parks alone yesterday, officers were forced to issue 43 summonses to those ignoring social distancing protocol. New Yorkers can be fined up to $1000 for violating the orders. An additional eight summonses were issued to lockdown rebels outside of the parks, NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said, noting the ‘majority’ of the 51 issued in total were for a failure to maintain a social distance. Three arrests were made citywide, Shea said, though the circumstances of each was not disclosed. The NYPD has made 60 arrests and issued… Read full this story
- Mayor Bill de Blasio breaks social distancing to snap selfies with revelers celebrating Joe Biden's victory as thousands gathered across New York to dance and embrace in the streets
- De Blasio broke rules, so why can't we? Hundreds of Orthodox Jews ignore social distancing for funeral of prominent rabbi in NYC's Lower East Side - a day after mayor did the same to celebrate Biden's victory
- De Blasio, Schumer Break Social Distancing Guidelines to Celebrate Biden Win
- De Blasio breaks social distancing, poses for Biden win selfies as thousands gather shoulder-to-shoulder
- What lockdown? Market in London is PACKED with little social distancing or a mask in sight as visitors help themselves to takeaway beer and Britons flout new rules in their thousands
- Tens of thousands of pupils miss their first day back at school as 'one in six' are kept at home over Covid fears despite risk of £120 fine - while teachers complain about lack of PPE or social-distancing
- New Jersey Business Owners Bracing For Tightened Restrictions As COVID-19 Cases Continue To Climb Statewide
- Trump Tower in NYC becomes a fortress as NYPD deploy gravel trucks and police chiefs warn they will 'freeze' parts of the city if unrest erupts
- The wait for results gets uglier as NYC protester tries to strangle cop with a CHAIN and armed demonstrators gather outside electoral stations in Arizona and Las Vegas where they are still counting votes
- Moment foul-mouthed female anti-Trump protester, 24, is arrested in NYC for spitting in cop's face and screaming 'f*** you fascist'
Thousands of New Yorkers leave lockdown to bask in 70 degree sunshine, as three are arrested and NYPD issue dozens of summons over social-distancing violations in NYC parks have 444 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at May 3, 2020. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.