Just about everyone agrees that 1999 was a great year for movies. We here at The A.V. Club do not beg to differ: We affirmed that consensus opinion last summer, when we revisited and ranked the bygone year's finest films , discovering no shortage of old favorites that still looked like triumphs in the harsh light of hindsight. (Yes, Fight Club holds up. Really!) But if '99's reputation as a mini cinematic renaissance remains more or less undisputed, what can be said about the year that followed? What has been said about it? There are fewer champions, certainly, of our new millennium's first new movies, especially when you limit it to the ones that hit American theaters before Y2K become Y2K1. Plenty of critical appraisers in December of two decades past couldn't help but compare the best movies of the year to the best movies of the previous year. The Oscars didn't much help 2000's rep: As Hollywood's blockbuster version of an old-fashioned swordplay epic took on the unexpectedly successful-in-America Chinese version, the undercard painted a picture of an off year for the medium… even if a few of the nomination leaders were actually pretty good. (See below.) And then… Read full this story
- RANKED: The 11 best movies of 2017
- The 31 best movies you can watch on Amazon's new free streaming channel, IMDb Freedive
- The 'best' movies based on video games
- ‘Girls Trip’ and Other High-Grossing, Black-Directed Movies
- 45 terrible movies that today's greatest actors starred in
- Movie review: Why 'Love, Simon' is a game-changer
- The 100 best crime movies of all time, according to critics
- The best blockbuster movie of every year since 2000
- 16 of the most iconic outfits from '90s movies
- How Can An Irresistible Movie Premise Like “Happy Death Day” Go This Wrong?
The best movies of 2000 have 302 words, post on www.avclub.com at August 12, 2020. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.