"Moi Mehboob Alam", spoken in Surjapuri, a dialect with a prominent Bangla twang, is how the CPI (ML) candidate introduces himself to the ones who don’t know him, as he races through the bylanes ahead of the Assembly elections in Balrampur constituency, in Katihar district. He is the sitting legislator from Balrampur and is one of three CPI (ML) legislators who managed to win in the 2015 election, when the CPI (ML) stood alone in the elections with JD (U)-RJD- Congress alliance on one end and BJP-led NDA alliance on the other. We are in Abadpur police station area near Barsoi, Balrampur at 11:00 a.m. There are no loudspeakers, no banners and no flags. There are no marigold garlands to mark the candidate out. Only a clutch of young men wearing red gamchas, raising slogans creating the mahaul (atmosphere). " Aapka button kahan dabega? Teen tara jahan rahega (Which button will you press? The one with three stars), Comrade Mehboob Alam ko laal Salaam, laal Salaam ," the urgency slowly building up. It finally reaches a crescendo with " Dekho, dekho, kaun aayaa? Sher aaya, sher aaya ." RJD's Tejashwi Yadav, Lalu Prasad and Rabri Devi along with Congress president… Read full this story
- Himachal Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Counting of votes on Monday - Key highlights
- Explained: Why does CEC say simultaneous LS and Assembly polls won’t happen soon?
- Lalu's estranged sons campaign for 'Didi'
- Inside Obama’s Campaign
- Crores of illegal money flows into poll-bound states, TN tops list
- What will anyone do if no party is able to form govt in Maharashtra: Nitish Kumar
- Live coverage: Cuomo, Nixon face off in high-stakes New York primary
- Trump casts Louisiana vote as impeachment referendum
- Chibuike Amaechi: Adding immense value to President Buhari’s change agenda in Nigerian Maritime Industry
- Development in focus as Sanwo-Olu inaugurates cabinet
Bihar Assembly elections | CPI (ML) candidate Mehboob Alam hits the campaign trail in Balrampur have 304 words, post on www.thehindu.com at October 25, 2020. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.