Britain is colder than Finland and set for the coldest December for 10 years – as the Met Office forecast chills lasting until after Christmas. More snow threatens tomorrow – Tuesday – on the North-East’s higher ground, with chilly 5-7C days for most this week and -3C this morning (Mon) in Scotland, chillier than -2C Helsinki. The Met Office predicted temperatures frequently colder-than-average through December. Snow threatens the Christmas period. December has not been colder than average since 2010’s Big Freeze. Met Office forecaster Marco Petagna said: “Winter hazards are dominating the weather as the emphasis changes from snow to frost and ice. “The UK will stay in cold air north of the jet stream.” The UK’s average December temperature is 3.8C. Many recent Decembers have been mild. Leon Brown, head of meteorological operations at The Weather Company’s Weather Channel arm, said: “Arctic incursions mean December could well be the coldest for a number of years.” As many as 25,000 car breakdowns were expected today across all UK providers, data trends showed. RAC spokesman Simon Williams said: “Slow down in difficult conditions.” Bookmakers Coral cut white Christmas odds to 1-2 odds-on for snow anywhere in the UK, with 3-1 in… Read full this story
- UK weather – Britain set for Christmas washout as floods bring more chaos after Eden Project evacuated by landslide
- UK weather – Britain has first white Christmas in three years before Storm Bella batters Britain with 70mph winds
- UK weather – Britain has first white Christmas in five years as snow falls in Suffolk and Humberside
- UK weather: Britain to be colder than Greenland this week as 'Beast from the East' brings -4C winds
- UK weather – Britain to see -5C Atlantic blast bringing frost across the UK in time for Christmas
- UK weather – Britain blanketed with snow as temperatures plunge to -3C and Met Office issues weather warning
- UK weather: Britain's best known forecaster Michael Fish reveals if it will be a White Christmas
- UK weather: More snow and ‘severe’ rain today as -2C cold snap sparks health alert and flood warnings
- UK weather: White Christmas now odds-on with bookmakers – where is snow likely to fall?
- UK weather: Heavy rain causes flooding as thick fog engulfs parts of Britain
UK Weather: Britain 'set for coldest December in 10 years' thanks to 'Arctic incursions' have 367 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at December 7, 2020. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.