Two of the farthest left black members of Congress are calling for a reprieve for Dylan Roof, the white supremacist who shocked America by shooting nine people after praying with them in Charleston’s Mother Emmanuel Church. Ayanna Pressley and Cori Bush — both members of the so-called ‘squad’ of progressive Democratic representatives — have called on new president Joe Biden to save the lives of Roof and 48 others currently on federal death row. Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev could also be spared if Biden agrees to the move. His death sentence was overturned on appeal and the Supreme Court is currently weighing whether to take up his case for a final decision. The plea from Pressley and Bush — supported by 35 Democrats in the House, including Rashida Tlaib, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Jamaal Bowman — comes after former president Donald Trump ordered the execution of 13 killers in his last weeks in office in a legally mandated capital punishment spree unprecedented in modern times. Before that flourish, only three federal prisoners have been put to death since 1963, the most notable being Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh in 2001. ‘State-sanctioned murder is not justice, and the death penalty, which… Read full this story
- Who is Lisa Montgomery, the only woman on death row in the US?
- Smiling mosque massacre shooter makes a white supremacist sign with his hand as he is charged with murder after 50 people lost their lives in New Zealand's worst terror attack - and man arrives at court 'armed with knife to stab the accused'
- These Are the 100 Worst Dramas of All Time
- Michael Cohen predicts that pardoned Trump allies will now be forced to testify AGAINST the President because they can't invoke the Fifth Amendment and could 'be his downfall'
- The 100 best series to watch on Amazon Prime Video
- Biggest news year EVER in pictures: DailyMail.com photographers share the best of their photos from 2020
Dems Squad members try to save the worst killers of all: Pressley and Bush demand Biden commutes sentences of all 49 federal prisoners on death row, including Charleston church shooter Dylan Roof and Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev have 308 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at January 26, 2021. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.