Richard N. Bond was the Republican National Committee Chairman from 1992-1993. The views expressed in this commentary belong to the author. View more opinion at CNN. (CNN)The Republican Party faces a massive dilemma in how to deal with Donald Trump. The 45 Republican senators who voted to dismiss Trump’s second impeachment trial reveal the GOP’s complex problem and the different emerging factions within the party — each with its own mix of motivations. Richard N. Bond First are the vocal opponents who have expressed outraged opposition to Trump, specifically Sens. Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, Mitt Romney, Ben Sasse and Pat Toomey. On the other end of the spectrum are Trump’s true believers, like Sen. Lindsey Graham, who arguably qualifies for Stockholm syndrome in his slavish devotion to Trump (Graham’s vote to certify the election result on January 6 — after the riot at the Capitol — is notably too little, too late), along with wanna-be Trump heir-apparents like Sens. Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley, who earned their place in the political Hall of Shame. In their zeal to curry favor with Trump supporters and presumably run for President themselves, they offered credibility to the Stop the Steal Movement, which led… Read full this story
- Juan Williams: Governors lead as Trump flounders
- Democrats struggle to keep up with Trump messaging on coronavirus
- House Democrats call on Trump administration to lift restrictions on fetal tissue for coronavirus research
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Trump pivots on state power, freezes US WHO funds
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - US officials expect 'saddest week,' glimmers of COVID-19 relief
- The Hill's 12:30 Report: US braces for 'hardest' week yet
- Susan Collins: Firing of intelligence community watchdog 'not warranted'
- Wisconsin Democrats chair bashes Supreme Court decision on voting: 'I am about to explode'
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Americans with COVID-19 immunity may lead US back to work
- Coronavirus live updates: New York Gov. Cuomo says the state’s curve is flattening
The GOP's post-Trump dilemma have 329 words, post on edition.cnn.com at February 1, 2021. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.