Updates from Gov. Gavin Newsom's State of the State address at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. 7:50 p.m. Legislators watched speech remotely: State legislators, to whom Newsom would ordinarily deliver his speech in Sacramento, watched remotely. Several Democratic lawmakers tweeted kudos for the governor's optimistic message. "Feeling hope for our next chapter," said Assembly Member Buffy Wicks, D-Oakland, who watched from home with her baby daughter. Assembly Member Kevin Mullen, D-South San Francisco, tweeted his reaction in a video, saying Newsom "has shown strong leadership in truly unprecedented and historic times." 7:27 p.m. Recall campaign responds to speech: Backers of the attempt to recall Newsom lashed out after the governor alluded to the effort in his speech, criticizing "a few naysayers and dooms-dayers" who are "promoting partisan power grabs with outdated prejudices." "Tonight was nothing more than political theater," said Randy Economy, a spokesperson for the recall campaign. "It was about him promoting himself. It was him going to Hollywood and being a big star." 7:15 p.m. Environmental groups pan governor : While Newsom spoke about the threat climate change poses to California, particularly by worsening wildfires, his words fell flat with some progressive environmental groups. Food & Water Watch… Read full this story
- Florida man Cesar Sayoc arrested in 'insidious' mail bomb spree as more packages are found: LIVE UPDATES
- After landslide win, California Democrats push to rewrite recall laws
- Gavin Newsom is hanging on by a thread
- California Recall Fueled By A Dinner, A Ruling On Same Day
- In-N-Out donated $40,000 to California Republican Party during Newsom recall campaign
- Gov. Gavin Newsom promises a 'progressive, principled' California
- After beating recall, invigorated Newsom feels new sense of urgency
- Gavin Newsom, who said Democrats should 'lean into' vaccine mandates, asks court to halt one
- Final Gavin Newsom recall results show Tahoe counties are moving left. Why?
- Newsom beats Trumpism in California, McAuliffe didn't in Virginia
Live updates: Gavin Newsom, facing recall, blasts 'partisan political power grabs' in State of the State speech have 321 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at March 9, 2021. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.