A group of Senate Democrats introduced a bill Wednesday that intends to block funding for the 2026 World Cup unless the U.S. women's national soccer team receives equal pay. The bill , dubbed the Give Our Athletes Level Salaries (GOALS) Act, calls for prohibiting "the use of funds for the 2026 World Cup unless the United States Soccer Federation provides equitable pay to the members of the United States Women's National Team and the United States Men's National Team." The Washington Post reported in 2019 that a player on the women’s team would learn about 89 percent of the compensation of a similarly situated men’s team player. ADVERTISEMENT The push for equal pay for the national women’s team was first sparked after the team secured its fourth World Cup victory in 2019. Following the win, team co-captain Megan Rapinoe said “it’s time for action” to secure equal pay for her and her female teammates. President Biden Joe Biden Supreme Court blocks Biden’s eviction moratorium Overnight Defense & National Security: Terror in Kabul as explosions kill and injure hundreds White House: Biden ‘somber’ and ‘outraged’ after hearing of Kabul attack MORE at the time called for equal pay for the team on the… Read full this story
- Women's national soccer team players sue U.S. Soccer for equal pay
- President Trump and Melania congratulate US women for World Cup win despite players saying they would snub an invitation to the White House
- On the winning team! Proud parents and partners - including Rapinoe's WNBA star girlfriend - go wild in the stands as their loved ones bring home the World Cup
- Russian press on the World Cup: Joyful foreign fans praised from different political views
- FIFA investigates two Swiss players for political World Cup goal celebrations
- Alex Morgan and Megan Rapinoe weigh in on "bold" soccer discrimination suit
- Trump issues order to create taskforce on violence against indigenous women
- For Democrats, Twitter Is Not Real Life. But It Could Be.
- Midterm Elections Live Results: Democrats Have Flipped The House And Republicans Will Keep The Senate
- Democratic debate night 2: Fact-checking the candidates on the issues
Senate Democrats threaten to block 2026 World Cup funds unless women's soccer team get equal pay have 352 words, post on thehill.com at June 9, 2021. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.