A month after his resignation from the Rajya Sabha to contest the West Bengal elections on BJP ticket, Swapan Dasgupta was renominated to the House by President Ramnath Kovind to fill the seat that fell vacant due to his resignation for his remainder term till April next. Mr. Dasgupta lost the Tarkeshwar constituency to his TMC rival, Ramendu Sinharay, by margin of over 7,000 votes. He was forced to resign from the Rajya Sabha ahead of the polls after the TMC forced legal action since a nominated member cannot contest on any party ticket while continuing to hold the post in the House. TMC chief whip in the Rajya Sabha Sukhendu Sekhar Ray told The Hindu, "I do not think it has ever happened in the history of the Rajya Sabha that a person who resigned just a month back is renominated by the President of India. The government is setting a bad precedent here by throwing all parliamentary norms out of the window." Mr. Ray termed it a shameful act. "He was sent to West Bengal, protected as a leader of the BJP. After losing the battle now, he is being rehabilitated by the backdoor. The BJP, it seems,… Read full this story
- John Oliver is right: Wield the power of public shaming responsibly
- Lunch shaming banned in NY; Greece will provide free meals for all students at 4 schools
- MAFS star Susie Bradley 'fat-shames' a new mother
- Emily Atack reveals she is 'fat-shamed a LOT'
- Megan Barton Hanson blasts body-shaming troll
- John Oliver And Monica Lewinsky Call Out Public Shaming
- RHOA's NeNe Leakes hits back at Porsha Williams' claims of fat-shaming
- Bra shop is blasted online for body shaming women
- Arg admits it was pot kettle black of him to 'fat-shame' Gemma Collins
- Shame of boy who posed next to mentally ill woman attacked with flour
Swapan Dasgupta back in Rajya Sabha; shameful, says TMC have 300 words, post on www.thehindu.com at June 1, 2021. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.