Just a few months ago, the honeymoon seemed in full bloom. President Joe Biden arrived in Brussels in June and was treated like a long-lost friend, happily home after a sojourn in the Trumpian wilderness. “America is back on the global scene,” Charles Michel, president of the European Council, said to Biden in front of the media. “It’s great news. It’s great news for our alliance. It’s also great news for the world.” But as the summer wanes, so too has the transatlantic romance that accompanied Biden’s ascent to power earlier this year. Biden promised a far less combustible relationship with the United States’ traditional Western allies, and appeared to galvanize European colleagues with his paeans toward shared values and his renewed efforts to help lead collective action on climate change. But sources of friction remain. The Biden administration, which touts its own brand of economic populism, has yet to fully lift a slate of tariffs on European goods put into place by former president Donald Trump. Moreover, on Monday, the European Union removed the United States from its “safe list” of nations whose residents should not face travel restrictions amid the coronavirus pandemic. The move, which functions as guidance… Read full this story
- Obama Announces Accelerated Troop Pullout From Afghanistan [Updated]
- What Susan Rice, Biden's Potential Secretary of State, Has Said About China, Russia and the Middle East
- Democrats debate fate of Trump probes if Biden wins
- Boris Refuses to Address Question on Biden’s Anti-Brexit Position
- Boris Johnson Says Call With Biden was ‘Refreshing’, Refers to Trump as the ‘Previous President’
- Farage: Trump Will Win Because He Gives Hope, While Biden Offers Fear
- Irish Taoiseach Tells UK to 'Knuckle Down' in Trade Negotiations as Biden Calls for Brexit Deal
- Groundwork done, Modi govt all set to deal with incoming Biden administration | Analysis
- Can Joe Biden clean up the mess?
- US Election 2020: Biden victory brings sighs of relief overseas
As U.S. leaves Afghanistan, Europe sours on Biden have 318 words, post on www.sfgate.com at August 31, 2021. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.