(CNN) The Biden administration has informed Congress of a proposed $750 million weapons sale to Taiwan in a move likely to further inflame tensions with Beijing. The administration gave notice about the intended sale on Wednesday, according to a State Department spokesperson, two congressional sources, and a notification from the Defense Security Cooperation Agency. The deal includes 40 M109A6 Medium Self-Propelled Howitzer Systems and related equipment. “If concluded, this proposed sale will contribute to the modernization of Taiwan’s howitzer fleet, strengthening its self-defense capabilities to meet current and future threats,” the spokesperson said. One of the congressional sources told CNN that Senate Foreign Relations Chairman Robert Menendez had already cleared the sale as part of the informal review process — a common practice in which the House and Senate Foreign Relations Committees get a heads-up on planned sales, allowing committee leadership to raise concerns, give their input or place holds. The US and China say they want to avoid military conflict, but no one can agree on how This source said Menendez sees it “as yet another statement of the Biden administration’s serious intent to get strategy in the Indo-Pacific right, and its commitment to stand with our ally Taiwan.”… Read full this story
- Biden administration proposes rule reinstating DACA
- Biden administration competency doubts increase
- The Biden administration must stop Beijing's bullying of Taiwan
- Why is the Biden administration purchasing surveillance drones from China? | Opinion
- Taiwan sweats on US arms sales decision
- US approves $1 billion in new arms sales to Taiwan
- Florida sues Biden administration over catch-and-release policy, alleging violation of federal law
- Biden’s Proposal to Empower I.R.S. Rattles Banks and Their Customers
- Biden administration moves to safeguard DACA program for "Dreamers" as court ruling looms
- Why is the Biden administration seeking to make banks a tool of the IRS?
Biden administration proposes $750 million arms sale to Taiwan in a move likely to anger Beijing have 294 words, post on edition.cnn.com at August 4, 2021. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.