A MONG THE best lessons Colin Powell learned in his life (and he was fond of uplifting lists of aphorisms, mottoes and rules), two came from his after-school job at Sickser's toy and baby-furniture store on Westchester Avenue, in the Bronx. The first was the fun of putting something together, in this case disassembled cribs, from unpromising heaps of parts. The second was the importance of a cool, sound head. His boss spoke Yiddish, like many of the customers, and taught him the phrase Gesund dein kepple , "Keep a healthy head". That seemed a good principle to live by. Enjoy more audio and podcasts on iOS Android . Yet no one, least of all him, a New Deal kid kicking a football round the run-down streets of Hunts Point, could have guessed that his soundness would be tested at the highest levels of government, as America's top diplomat and adviser to its presidents, and the commander and promoter of its wars. For a time, after victory in the first Gulf war in 1991, he was the most popular man in the country. In the presidential elections of both 1996 and 2000 his name was floated, though he didn't bite…. Read full this story
- Transcript: Colin Powell on "Face the Nation," July 19, 2020
- Colin Powell: We Need to Rename Confederate-Named Bases ‘as Quickly as We Can’
- 'The virus doesn't care about excuses': US faces terrifying autumn as Covid-19 surges
- America shuts down again -- choosing reality over Trump's false claims
- Texans' Michael Thomas: Players will believe NFL only if someone signs Colin Kaepernick
- George HW Bush obituary
- America's Got Talent: Sofia Vergara tearfully tells poet she can 'feel' his pain and recalls her brother's murder in 1998
- BOOS! and WHOOP-DOOS!: Wake Up America, Your Kitchen Is on Fire (Part 2)!
- America is running short on masks, gowns and gloves. Again.
- The costs of child care around the world
Obituary: Colin Powell thought America should tread carefully in the world have 314 words, post on www.economist.com at October 23, 2021. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.