Synopsis South Africa has been struggling with its plans to achieve the herd immunity through vaccinations, with widespread vaccine hesitancy, largely fuelled by social media misinformation. Oravax Medical Inc, a subsidiary of US/Israeli pharmaceutical company Oramed, has started the first phase of clinical trial of its oral COVID-19 vaccine in South Africa . South Africa has been struggling with its plans to achieve the herd immunity through vaccinations, with widespread vaccine hesitancy, largely fuelled by social media misinformation. There is also a strong anti-vaccination lobby , including some political parties. “We expect to rapidly complete this study and hope to advance into pivotal trials for emergency use approval in countries where our oral Virus-Like Particles (VLP) vaccine would have the greatest impact,” Oramed Chief Executive Officer Nadav Kidron said in a statement. “South Africa is a great location for the Phase 1 study, as it is currently experiencing a surge in COVID cases and has struggled to obtain sufficient vaccines. “It is our firm belief that an oral vaccine which eliminates syringes and eases distribution and administration, can significantly help increase vaccination rates for South Africa and similar countries,” Kidron said. The open-label trial involves participants who have not received… Read full this story
- Rugby-Nine more from Munster test positive for COVID-19 in South Africa
- Covid symptoms in South Africa milder than earlier waves: Report
- Doctor Who First Detected Omicron Says Vaccinated or Not, New Variant Has Hit All in South Africa
- Explainer: What is this new Covid variant in South Africa?
- South Miami Police Chief Rene Landa Alarmed By New Report About Covid-19 And Officers
- South African firm nears deal to sell J&J Covid-19 shot across Africa
- China Steps Up Vaccine Diplomacy As Xi Pledges 600 Million Covid-19 Jabs To Africa Amid Omicron Outbreak
- Beshear: Delta variant causes new increase in COVID-19 cases
- South Australia records seven new cases of COVID-19
- SA records two new cases of COVID-19, new exposure sites
Trial of new oral drug against COVID-19 begins in South Africa have 313 words, post on economictimes.indiatimes.com at December 16, 2021. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.