E ACH YEAR The Economist picks a "country of the year". The award goes not to the biggest, the richest or the happiest, but to the one that in our view improved the most in 2021. Past winners have included Uzbekistan (for abolishing slavery), Colombia (for making peace) and Tunisia (for embracing democracy). This year was a difficult one. Covid-19 continued to spread misery, as brilliantly designed vaccines were unevenly distributed and new variants such as Omicron emerged. In many countries civil liberties and democratic norms were eroded. Russia's main opposition leader was jailed. Donald Trump's supporters stormed the US Capitol. Civil wars gripped Ethiopia and Myanmar. Yet amid the gloom, a few countries shone. In tiny Samoa courts defused a constitutional crisis, tossed out the ruling party of 33 years and a prime minister who claimed to have been chosen by God, and installed a reformist, the first woman to hold the job. Moldova , one of the poorest countries in Europe, has long been a sink of Russian money-laundering. But in late 2020 it elected the graft-busting Maia Sandu as president and in 2021 it gave her party control of parliament. Zambia reclaimed its democracy. A year ago… Read full this story
- Betting Against Brexit, Economists Predict UK U-turn: Poll
- Americans could be paying an extra $571 million a year for TV if AT&T buys Time Warner, says DOJ's expert economist
- Despite Brexit Gridlock, Economists Bet On 'Soft’ Deal Or UK U-turn
- Albany Lawmakers May Get Their First Raise in 20 Years. Do They Deserve One?
- U-M Economists: GM layoffs could cost Michigan 16,000 jobs
- Economists Survey: 74% See US Recession by End of 2021
- Energy and Environmental Law Update - March 4, 2014
- Energy & Environmental Law Update: August 5, 2015
- Castro set to step aside as Cuban president, his reforms incomplete
- EU Proposes Pumping Billions More into Africa, ‘Peace Facility’ Fund to Buy Weapons for Crisis Zones
Which is The Economist’s country of the year for 2021? have 310 words, post on www.economist.com at December 18, 2021. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.