Refugees who have fled a flare-up in fighting between the Myanmar army and insurgent groups and settled temporarily on the bank of the Moei River, bathe in the river waters in Mae Sot, Thailand on Jan 7. (Reuters Photo) SINGAPORE: Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong says Asean should continue to exclude Myanmar's military junta from the group's meetings until it cooperates on an agreed peace plan. In a video call on Friday, Mr Lee urged the regional group's new chair, Cambodia, to engage all sides in the conflict in Myanmar, Singapore's foreign ministry said on Saturday. Mr Lee told his Cambodian counterpart Hun Sen that Asean should continue inviting a non-political representative from Myanmar to its meetings. Any decision to change that "had to be based on new facts", he said. His remarks follow a controversial visit last week by Hun Sen to Myanmar, where he met Senior Gen Min Aung Hlaing, whom Asean excluded from its November leaders' summit for his failure to implement the five-point plan to end hostilities and allow dialogue after a coup last year. Malaysia's foreign minister, Saifuddin Abdullah, made similar comments on Thursday, saying some Asean members felt Hun Sen should have discussed… Read full this story
- US threatens new measures against Myanmar junta
- U.S. envoy urges Cambodia to make no concessions to Myanmar junta in ASEAN
- No turning back: ASEAN leaders urged to sustain pressure against Myanmar junta
- Meet the Myanmar junta’s hi-so helpers
- Reports: Myanmar Junta Destroys Dozens of Churches, Mutilates Christians
- Myanmar junta may want to discredit Suu Kyi, but the pro-democracy sentiment there is greater than her leadership
- Myanmar junta says will hold election in August 2023
- PM Modi meets Singapore PM Lee Hsien Loong
- Asean’s Statement is a Slap on the Face of the People of Myanmar
- Is progress on Myanmar possible in 2022?
Singapore PM: Keep Myanmar junta out of Asean talks have 311 words, post on www.bangkokpost.com at January 15, 2022. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.