Few terms have been as abused as "cancel culture." Its very existence is a point of controversy, despite the fact that large majorities both on and off campus feel pressured to censor themselves for fear of losing their jobs or reputations. But it's a real thing—no matter how many ways its meaning has been wrongly distorted. On March 3, Sergei Naryshkin, head of Russian foreign intelligence, accused the West of attempting to "cancel" their government for its invasion of Ukraine, echoing claims made by Vladimir Putin about alleged American cancel culture. Former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the allegations of sexual harassment and a toxic workplace that led to his resignation were cancel culture. And, of course, former President Donald Trump has blamed cancel culture for just about everything — including the Jan. 6 committee's decision to subpoena Roger Stone and Alex Jones. Ridiculous non-examples of cancel culture, such as these, provide all the ammunition needed for media and academic elites to blithely wave away the phrase as nothing more than a misleading term for a fake problem. But just because the term has been grossly overused doesn't mean we should give up on its popularly understood definition—which aptly… Read full this story
- John Cleese Rips Cancel Culture: ‘Emotionally Unstable’ People Setting the Bar for What’s Politically Correct
- Nolte: Politico Poll Shows ‘Significant Concern’ over Blacklisting Cancel Culture
- Opinion: Speech bans and 'cancel culture' put democracy at risk
- Bari Weiss rip cancel culture as 'social murder' on Bill Maher show
- Nick Cannon latest to learn Hollywood cancel culture is real
- Poll: Plurality of voters say 'cancel culture' has 'gone too far'
- Bill Maher Calls for ‘Pushback on Cancel Culture’
- Cancel Culture 'Misunderstands Main Purpose of Life', John Cleese Says
- Sen. Kelly Loeffler: Black Lives Matter, Cancel Culture Coming for All Americans
- Nolte: Cancel Culture Victim Mike Adams’ Death Ruled Suicide
Don’t Stop Using the Term ‘Cancel Culture’ have 313 words, post on www.thedailybeast.com at March 25, 2022. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.