ISLAMABAD: Minister for Climate Change Sherry Rehman on Wednesday said that at least 77 people have lost their lives as monsoon rains wreak havoc across the country, with 39 deaths reported from Balochistan alone. The current monsoon rains left hundreds of homes destroyed and hampered rescue operations in remote areas of the country. Addressing a press conference in Islamabad, the minister termed the casualties a “national tragedy” and said that the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has prepared a national contingency plan to deal with the situation during the monsoon season. The NDMA has also called on people to stay alert to prevent further damage, she added. "We need a comprehensive plan to avert these [deaths and devastation] as all of this destruction is taking place due to climate change.” The rains have not stopped and will continue till July 8, according to the Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD), which has also warned of water logging in low-lying areas. More rains Although it did not rain heavily in Karachi till the end of Wednesday afternoon, the metropolis is expected to receive 40-50mm of rain under the influence of a strong weather system that has developed over the sea. The meteorological department… Read full this story
- Japan: death toll climbs to 155 after 'historic' rain and landslides
- Chernobyl Death Toll: How Many People Were Killed by the Nuclear Disaster?
- The Latest: Death toll up to 450 in Sierra Leone mudslides
- Japan heat wave death toll soars amid record temperatures
- India slashes heatwave death toll with series of low-cost measures
- 'National shame': Deaths of homeless people increase by almost a quarter
- Typhoon death toll rises to 11 in Philippines
- Typhoon death toll rises to 17 in Philippines
- Heavy rains likely in coastal Karnataka, Kerala and Odisha in next 24 hours
- Rains lash many parts of TN, more forecast; one dead in Chennai
Sherry Rehman terms rain casualties 'national tragedy' as death toll climbs to 77 have 295 words, post on www.thenews.com.pk at July 6, 2022. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.