WASHINGTON: When House Speaker Nancy The reason her visit ratcheted up tension between China and the United States: China claims Taiwan as part of its territory, and it views visits by foreign government officials as them recognizing the island's sovereignty. President Joe Biden has sought to calm that complaint, insisting there’s no change in America’s longstanding "one-China policy," which recognizes Beijing but allows informal relations and defense ties with Taipei. Pelosi portrays her high-profile trip as part of a US obligation to stand with democracies against autocratic countries, and with democratic Taiwan against China. A look at some of the issues at play: Why did Pelosi go to Taiwan? Pelosi has made a mission over decades of showing support for embattled democracy movements. Those include a trip in 1991 to Tiananmen Square, where she and other lawmakers unrolled a small banner supporting democracy, as frowning Chinese security officers tried to shut them down. Chinese forces had crushed a homegrown democracy movement at the same spot two years earlier. The speaker is framing her Taiwan trip as part of a broader mission at a time when "the world faces a choice between autocracy and democracy." She led a congressional delegation to… Read full this story
- Pelosi says House to vote on resolution to limit Trump's military actions on Iran
- Start your Monday smart: Golden Globes, Harvey Weinstein, impeachment, Taiwan, NFL
- Nancy Pelosi says House WILL vote to limit Donald Trump's power to go to war with Iran accusing him of having NO 'coherent strategy' to 'keep Americans safe'
- Bill To Affirm India-US Friendship Introduced In House Of Representatives
- Profiles of Taiwan's presidential candidate
- Profiles of Taiwan's presidential candidates
- Speaker Nancy Pelosi seeks to curb Donald Trump's ability to strike Iran
- Nancy Pelosi faces key speaker vote: How many Democrats will defect?
- Donald Trump urges House Republicans to vote against 'Crazy Nancy's' bid to limit his powers to wage war on Iran - but does NOT mention that Republican Senate rebels are also backing it
- Nancy Pelosi FINALLY announces she will call a House vote to send impeachment articles to the Senate next WEEK and begin Donald Trump's trial - and Mitch McConnell says: 'About time!'
Nancy Pelosi: Why Nancy Pelosi went to Taiwan, and why China's angry | World News - Times of India have 364 words, post on timesofindia.indiatimes.com at August 3, 2022. This is cached page on Drudgereport. If you want remove this page, please contact us.